Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cock-a-doodle-doo! Kindergarten Wyncinaki Roosters

To continue our trip around the world for our Multicultural Fair, I worked with the Ukraine with one of my kinder classes.  

Mine, and it's not fully symmetrical since it's not centered on the paper...oops!
I've done art from the Ukraine before with a 2nd grade class last, year, we did paper crayon resist watercolor Pisanki Eggs.  They were CUTE!  I didn't think kinder would grasp that concept too well as drawing with white crayon on white paper freaks them out a little since they can't see just what they are drawing (it freaked the 2nd graders out, as well!)  You can find a brief history here if you're interested.

This year, I decided that paper cutting was the way to go!  So Wyncinaki it was!  Since roosters seemed to be EVERYWHERE, a rooster it was as well.  I drew the rooster so that when the paper was folded and cut, we'd end up with the symmetry Wincinaki is famous for.  I copied it on black paper.  Most of my kinders were successful with the folding and cutting, I was surprised to find.  We then glued that bad boy onto a large paper and let dry.  The next class time, we added the combs and wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment