Monday, September 30, 2013

Zany Zebras in 4th

We're starting non-traditional color wheels in 3rd through 5th grade.
Fourth just so happens to be lucky enough to be chosen to do this project I found on Pinterest here.  They did Analogous colors, but since we're only doing 6 colors in our color wheels, we're calling it good to go.
This is a new project for me and this morning was the VERY first time I taught it.
I do have a "How to Draw" follow along page for those who get "lost" and we're all drawing our own zebras (and they all happen to look the same, which is okay).  She let her kids trace theirs (which I have nothing against, I was thinking about doing the same) so her's look more like real zebras than my kiddos.
Please don't tell my kids, they're really proud of theirs.  We didn't get to the stripes yet...
My Zebra
These have GREAT individuality.
The bottom one is my favorite, she added eyelashes!
Okay, the top one got ahead and started on stripes.
Long nose or short, still a zebra.
I'm really pleased how GREAT and INDIVIDUAL these are all turning out.

We've only added stripes and outlined them this rotation.  I really want to keep painting as a full class period thing.  Some of the kids spend 5-10 minutes adding stripes and outlining, others have taken the whole 50 minutes.  This is why I didn't start the next step.
The students had two options, white zebra with colorful stripes or a colorful zebra with black stripes.  I think that'll throw enough difference in the group to make the classes unique.

This one will be colorful.
Another colorful one.
This one will have it's stripes painted in.
Another with colorful stripes.
 Then I have this child.  He brought me his paper with a wonderful zebra base and started whining about how awful it was, trying to get one of the copies I had made for students who were absent from me.  NOT HAPPENING.  He was here, he put in the effort, it looked WONDERFUL.
"No, student (didn't call him student, but, you know, internet safety, disclosure and all that) your zebra is GREAT, add some stripes and maybe it'll look even better."
He leaves, sits, works, comes back a little later.   Zebra is still in pencil at this point and salvageable.
"Ms. Novak, my zebra is AWFUL!"
"No, it's not, erase the pictures and scribbles and add lines or little Vs.  You'll be fine, you got this far, the only problem is you don't seem sure of the directions."  I show him on my sample what needs to be done.  He seemed to understand, though bummed, and goes back to try to get something accomplished.  By this point he has MAYBE five minutes of work time left.  I get sidetracked by another student (or two) and can't check on him again.
Class ends, things are put away.  I flip through their folders and find this...
Not making me a happy camper and I know he's not a happy camper.  His zebra would have been fine, but since it didn't look just like mine or one of his table mates he's upset.  What do you do?  This child has the potential in him, he is a goof, but a good kid, he just doesn't see what he can do so he resorts to this:
Just in case you didn't/can't see it above.
Next week is color!

No comments:

Post a Comment